Give your family a nice Thanksgiving surprise- a brand new stuffing recipe! This recipe comes from one of our cofounders' family friends named Bhavani Jaroff. Our cofounder, Ben, has had this recipe for years and him and his family can't get enough of it!
- 1 package of Arrowhead Mills or Chatham Village Stuffing Mix
- 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable broth or water
- 1 and 1/3 cups of olive oil or butter plus another 2 tablespoons to be used later
- Two 10 inch pieces of grated Burdock Root
- 2 Gala or Granny Smith apples, cored and cubed
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped portabella mushrooms
- 3/4 cup of chopped pecans
- Fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and whatever else you may want to throw in!
- Put the butter or olive oil along with the vegetable broth into a pot and bring it to a boil
- Add in the stuffing mix and stir it in nicely, and then let it sit covered for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, use the extra 2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter to saute the burdock root on a low flame for 10 minutes
- Then, add in the chopped onions and saute it for another 5 minutes
- Then, add in the cubed apples and cook it for another 5 minutes and then add in the chopped pecans
- Then, go back to the pot of vegetable broth and add in the sauted vegetables into the pot with the boiling stuffing mix and mix well
- Then, add in the fresh herbs and season to taste
- Finally, bake covered for another 20 minutes before serving
Bhavani has a great site called iEatGreen where she has a motivational and educational organization that helps people become "greener", and can be reached at https://www.ieatgreen.com/. Here you can find recipes, podcasts and other great tips and tricks to become more environmentally conscious. Check it out!